Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Arsenal’s departure from the UEFA Champions League has cost them a blow to their quest for a Premier League title as well, as midfield wizard Mesut Ozil has been lost for “at least a few weeks” with a hamstring injury.
Ozil came out at halftime during Tuesday’s second leg against Bayern Munich in Germany, and many pointed to it as the latest step in a dip in form. Turns out the 25-year-old was injured.
“We have to make a scan (Wednesday) to see how bad it is but he is out for at least a few weeks,” said Arsene Wenger.
The slumping Ozil has been a mainstay in the Arsenal lineup, missing only three Premier League matches and scoring four goals with nine assists. Not that scoring is the only indicator of play, but Ozil has just one PL assist since he concluded a four-match point streak on Dec. 14.
Arsenal is without Jack Wilshere for the next six weeks — or more — with a foot injury. Wenger said Ozil will definitely miss the weekend’s derby date with Tottenham and could miss more.
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0