Mar 12, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
Given Manchester City were expected to leave Champions League after today’s game in Barcelona, the most disappointing outcome for the second leg of their UEFA Champions League Round of 16 matchup would have been a serious injury compounding their elimination. Now, escorted out of the competition by today’s 2-1 loss, the Citizens are playing a wait-and-see game on their worst case scenario after striker Sergio Agüero was forced off at the end of Wednesday’s first half.
The Argentine international has already served two spells on the sidelines this season, with calf and hamstring injuries limiting him to 15 league starts. After Wednesday game in Spain, however, assistant coach Rubén Cousillas said Agüero’s new ailment wasn’t “serious.”
From the BBC:
“We don’t think it’s anything serious. He felt some muscle pain but it was more a precaution than anything else,” Cousillas said.
“It’s too early to know how long he’ll be out. We’ll do some tests to assess the injury.”
There’ve been too many times where an minor problem turned into a major concern for Manchester City fans to be too assured by Cousillas’s words. Even if the assistant’s speculation does prove true, a third leg injury of the season speaks to Agüero’s overall health. Either he’s been unlucky, has become unexpectedly injury prone, or is seeing issues cascade into new ailments.
Regardless, Manchester City fans are not the only ones watching. Three months from this summer’s World Cup, Argentina fans will be monitoring the health of one of their team’s key players. If Agüero carries his nagging injuries into Brazil, it could affect the Albiceleste’s changes of claiming a third title.
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. West Bromwich Albion (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Arsene Wenger suggests Thierry Henry could return to Arsenal as a coach 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: Not much separating Red Bulls, Revolution ahead of Eastern Conference Championship, leg 1 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Inside Look: LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders to square off in Western Conference Championship, leg 1 0