Mar 13, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Suspended Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was considering going to Craven Cottage on Saturday, where his Magpies are set to face last place Fulham. Even if it as to “[have] a hot dog outside,” Pardew wanted to be as close to the team as possible, despite the seven-match suspension he incurred for head-butting Hull’s David Meyler beginning this weekend.
“I did think about going on the bus and having a hot dog outside Craven Cottage but I don’t think that’s going to go down too well so I’ll say goodbye at the hotel,” Pardew explained on Thursday to The Guardian. Confessing he was “disappointed” in himself, the Newcastle boss offered another apology to Meyler and Hull boss Steve Bruce.
“The big question for me when this incident happened was ‘how am I going to be a better manager out of it?'” Pardew explained, a question that’s led him to consider professional help:
I’ve spoken to a few company CEOs who have management counselling and I think it’s an avenue that might work for me,” said Pardew. “Richard Bevan [the chief executive of the League Managers Association] has been a great help in terms of finding someone to work for me and I can just bounce ideas off. Not necessarily just about the touchline and the pressures I’m under, just normal managerial decisions.
The Guardian has more (link, above), with Pardew offering a very frank assessment of his behavior at the KC Stadium. The FA’s subsequent suspension will see the Magpies boss completely miss matches against Fulham, Crystal Place, and Everton before being allowed into the stands for a the final four-games of his ban.
- US Vice President Joe Biden to attend USWNT’s World Cup final vs. Japan 0
- USA vs. Guatemala preview: USMNT’s final tune-up before 2015 Gold Cup 0
- 2015 Gold Cup – Group A preview: USMNT favorites over Honduras, Panama, Haiti 0
- Clint Dempsey replaced by Michael Bradley as USMNT captain for Gold Cup 5
- Despite devastating World Cup exit, England’s women inspired a nation 9
- US ask Switzerland to extradite seven FIFA officials 0