Mar 13, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Suspended Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was considering going to Craven Cottage on Saturday, where his Magpies are set to face last place Fulham. Even if it as to “[have] a hot dog outside,” Pardew wanted to be as close to the team as possible, despite the seven-match suspension he incurred for head-butting Hull’s David Meyler beginning this weekend.
“I did think about going on the bus and having a hot dog outside Craven Cottage but I don’t think that’s going to go down too well so I’ll say goodbye at the hotel,” Pardew explained on Thursday to The Guardian. Confessing he was “disappointed” in himself, the Newcastle boss offered another apology to Meyler and Hull boss Steve Bruce.
“The big question for me when this incident happened was ‘how am I going to be a better manager out of it?'” Pardew explained, a question that’s led him to consider professional help:
I’ve spoken to a few company CEOs who have management counselling and I think it’s an avenue that might work for me,” said Pardew. “Richard Bevan [the chief executive of the League Managers Association] has been a great help in terms of finding someone to work for me and I can just bounce ideas off. Not necessarily just about the touchline and the pressures I’m under, just normal managerial decisions.
The Guardian has more (link, above), with Pardew offering a very frank assessment of his behavior at the KC Stadium. The FA’s subsequent suspension will see the Magpies boss completely miss matches against Fulham, Crystal Place, and Everton before being allowed into the stands for a the final four-games of his ban.
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3