Mar 14, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
Arsène Wenger has yet to be offered a new contract by Arsenal, but that doesn’t mean he’s on his way out just yet.
With Gerardo Martino failing to impress (or at least impress by Barcelona standards; the side are currently third in La Liga, four points back of Real Madrid), many have speculated that the club are set to offer Wenger a contract at the season’s end.
When asked about the possibility of moving on to manage Barcelona, the Frenchman replied, “No, my commitment is always fully here and nowhere else.”
Wenger, who was appointed Gunners’ boss in September 1996, is set to preside over his 1,000th game at the club, which occurs on March 22nd against Chelsea. Despite having not won a trophy in nearly ten years, it’s rumored that Arsenal will time the manager’s new contract in tandem with that momentous 1,000th game.
The Arsenal manager was also asked if, when he was appointed back in 1996, he’d imagined staying on for as long as he has. Wenger responded, “No, not at all, I never would envisage that. We are in a job like you go for the next game, and try to do well in that next game. Then step by step, sometimes you get to 1,000.”
Rumors about Barcelona being in pursuit of Wenger are most likely just that, rumors. The Gunners were top of the table for much of the season, and even now are just seven points back of Chelsea. And, having beaten Everton 4-1 to advance to the semi-finals of the FA Cup, Arsenal just might be about finally add another trophy to their cabinet. So is there really a reason to think they wouldn’t offer Wenger a new contract?
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0