Mar 14, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Those hoping Eric Lichaj would make a last-minute leap onto the US roster for this summer’s World Cup will be disappointed to learn that the defender is out indefinitely as he is set to undergo double hernia surgery after suffering an injury against Wigan on March 1.
Nottingham Forest announced the news today regarding the 26-times capped American, 25. Lichaj transfered to the Reds this summer after spending 2007-2013 in Birmingham with Aston Villa, where he appeared 42 times while also spending loan stints at Leeds United, Leyton Orient and Lincoln City.
The United States depth in the back kept Lichaj in the picture, but the injury kept him from Jurgen Klinsmann’s recent camp in Germany and the friendly agains Ukraine. He recently made in-roads to Klinsmann’s group after nearly two years away from the national team.
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra – What should we expect from the Premier League’s promoted three? 0
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Liverpool 2