Mar 14, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Those hoping Eric Lichaj would make a last-minute leap onto the US roster for this summer’s World Cup will be disappointed to learn that the defender is out indefinitely as he is set to undergo double hernia surgery after suffering an injury against Wigan on March 1.
Nottingham Forest announced the news today regarding the 26-times capped American, 25. Lichaj transfered to the Reds this summer after spending 2007-2013 in Birmingham with Aston Villa, where he appeared 42 times while also spending loan stints at Leeds United, Leyton Orient and Lincoln City.
The United States depth in the back kept Lichaj in the picture, but the injury kept him from Jurgen Klinsmann’s recent camp in Germany and the friendly agains Ukraine. He recently made in-roads to Klinsmann’s group after nearly two years away from the national team.
- Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo 0
- Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras 0
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 8
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0