Mar 14, 2014, 6:20 PM EST
Those hoping Eric Lichaj would make a last-minute leap onto the US roster for this summer’s World Cup will be disappointed to learn that the defender is out indefinitely as he is set to undergo double hernia surgery after suffering an injury against Wigan on March 1.
Nottingham Forest announced the news today regarding the 26-times capped American, 25. Lichaj transfered to the Reds this summer after spending 2007-2013 in Birmingham with Aston Villa, where he appeared 42 times while also spending loan stints at Leeds United, Leyton Orient and Lincoln City.
The United States depth in the back kept Lichaj in the picture, but the injury kept him from Jurgen Klinsmann’s recent camp in Germany and the friendly agains Ukraine. He recently made in-roads to Klinsmann’s group after nearly two years away from the national team.
- Monday’s transfer rumor roundup: Canada youngster to West Ham, 3-team fight for Coentrao 0
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0