Mar 14, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Robert Huth underwent a knee operation on Thursday and is set to miss the rest of the season. The Stoke City defender was injured back in November and hasn’t played a game with the first team since then.
The 29-year-old moved to the Premier League from his native Germany in 2001, where he joined up with Chelsea. After struggling to break into the first team, he moved to Middlesbrough in 2006 before joining Stoke in August 2009.
Huth’s signing set a club record at the time, and he repaid the Potters’ faith by being named the team’s 2010-2011 player of the year, helping to guide Stoke to the FA Cup final in the same season – the first in their history.
Despite Stoke’s transition from defensive-minded Tony Pulis to Mark Hughes at the start of the 2013-2014 season, Huth remained a regular in the side, making fifteen starts in all competitions. But after being pulled from the Sunderland match on November 23 for what appeared at the time to be simple fitness issues, Huth never made it back into Premier League contention.
Hughes said, “We tried to get him back and he has been very close on a number of occasions, but unfortunately the knee was reacting adversely to any opportunity we had to really push him on. Every time we tried to just push him to the next level, that is when the reaction in the knee would force us to take a step back. So we took him to the surgeon and he had another look at it and recommended that Robert had another operation.”
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 0
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 2
- Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City 4
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 5
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 9
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3