Mar 14, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Michu may make his first appearance since Dec. 15 when Swansea and West Bromwich Albion square off for a relegation six-pointer at Liberty Stadium on Saturday, news that’s sure to displease winless Baggies boss Pepe Mel.
The Spanish striker has been missed at Swansea for much longer than that December date. He first missed a month with an ankle injury in November, but his return was just two Premier League matches before it was deemed he needed surgery.
No one would debate the impact Michu made in his first year with Swans, scoring 22 goals in 43 appearance across all competitions. He was a hero in their League Cup run, as well.
His two goals in 12 PL matches this year were a poor start and, while Swansea will certainly welcome the 27-year-old back into the fold, there hasn’t been a major difference in their 2013/14 performance with and without him (Somewhat worth noting that Swans schedule has been tougher without their star striker as well).
WITH: 3W-4D-5L, 1.08 points per match
14 goals for, 1.17 goals per match
WITHOUT: 4W-4D-13L, 1.31 points per match
24 goals for, 1.14 goals per match
Wilfried Bony has been Swansea’s scorer this season, with nine goals in 24 PL appearances (17 of them starts). The club has a win, two draws and a loss since Garry Monk took over for sacked Michael Laudrup and a healthy Michu will certainly make Swansea a better club for its relegation fight. How much better remains to be seen.
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: Croatia friendly a no-go, but USMNT still likely to play that date 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 1
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0