Mar 16, 2014, 11:04 AM EST
He may not get the chance.
A Daily Mail report suggest that the towering Belgian has burned bridges at Stamford Bridge, and Jose Mourinho will look to sell in the summer.
With a second consecutive impressive season from the 20-year-old on loan – first at West Bromwich Albion and now at Everton – Lukaku will no doubt have plenty of suitors.
But apparently Mourinho doesn’t rate Lukaku highly enough to keep the player in spite of his highly outspoken nature against his parent club.
Lukaku will head into next season with just two years left on the five-year deal he signed as a teenager.
With little production from the striker position this season, Mourinho will be in dire need of a target man up front this summer, but he could use the money from a sale of Lukaku to finance a potential deal for others. The Mail report names Diego Costa and Radamel Falcao as top names.
Everton would surely be in the mix to purchase Lukaku outright, with the youngster clearly enjoying his time on loan at Goodison Park, although ultimately they may be priced out of the move depending on Chelsea’s asking price.
Lukaku has 15 first-team appearances for Chelsea in his career, yet to score a goal for the Blues.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 0
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1