Mar 16, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Looking to put serious pressure on Chelsea on the top of the table, Liverpool are 45 minutes away from an enormous win at Old Trafford.
On this particular occasion, Sturridge hit Suarez with a cross-pitch pass, and with the Uruguayan trying to work around Rafael, he caught the defender off balance and arms outstretched, and Suarez’s move clipped his hand.
Rafael was also lucky to remain on the pitch. With the Brazilian already on a yellow from just two minutes earlier, the Liverpool players pleaded with Mark Clattenberg to issue a second card, but he refused.
Gerrard was the man to pump the ball home from the spot, poking it right past a wrong-footed David de Gea in net.
- Toronto FC fire Ryan Nelsen thanks to disappointing position and disparaging comments 1
- Leicester City 1-1 Arsenal: Home side holds strong for draw 2
- Done deal: Chelsea sign Loic Remy from QPR 0
- Tottenham 0-3 Liverpool: Familiar scenes as Reds storm Spurs in London 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Tottenham host Liverpool, Arsenal face Leicester 0
- Revolution feeling a Jermaine Jones boost after unloading on Toronto 0