Mar 16, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
Looking to put serious pressure on Chelsea on the top of the table, Liverpool are 45 minutes away from an enormous win at Old Trafford.
On this particular occasion, Sturridge hit Suarez with a cross-pitch pass, and with the Uruguayan trying to work around Rafael, he caught the defender off balance and arms outstretched, and Suarez’s move clipped his hand.
Rafael was also lucky to remain on the pitch. With the Brazilian already on a yellow from just two minutes earlier, the Liverpool players pleaded with Mark Clattenberg to issue a second card, but he refused.
Gerrard was the man to pump the ball home from the spot, poking it right past a wrong-footed David de Gea in net.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 1
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0