Mar 16, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
There’s a pretty awkward story in the Manchester Evening News, as star striker Robin van Persie has opted not to enroll his son in his own club’s academy.
Instead, Shaqueel van Persie is reportedly going to train to be a proper footballer at… Manchester City’s academy.
The report says RVP is not the first Red Devil to make that choice, as former player and current coach Phil Neville also has his child training with City.
In any event, it’s unclear whether this is a permanent thing or not.
Both go to training sessions with the Blues although it is not understood that either have actually signed for the club yet. Youngsters cannot do so until the end of their Under 8s season.
Surely it’s not the world’s biggest deal but it’s one of those things that grabs you, at least at surface level. Maybe they don’t want their kids kept our from their shadows as much as humanly possible, and surely it was discussed internally, but it’s weird to read.
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 1-2 D.C. United 0
- MLS Snapshot: Houston Dynamo 4-4 Sporting Kansas City 2
- MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 4-0 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 4-1 Philadelphia Union 1
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0