Mar 16, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT
While Manchester United manager David Moyes is on the brink of slipping deeper into Premier League depths never seen before at Manchester United, it’s quite the opposite across the touchline.
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has a golden opportunity to take down a wounded giant.
With a win today at Old Trafford, Rodgers could set up the Reds to do serious battle with Chelsea at the top of the Premier League table and challenge for Liverpool’s first league title in 24 years.
Both teams come into this match with positive news on the injury front.
For Moyes, Danny Welbeck returned from a 3-match injury absence last week to score off the bench against West Brom, but he remains second-fiddle behind Robin van Persie today.
Both Johnny Evans and Javier Hernandez are reportedly making significant progress in their return from knocks, but neither are recalled into the 18 today.
As for the visitors, Brendan Rodgers hands a potential return to both Lucas Levia and Mamadou Sakho, both of whom are named to the substitutes. The pair have been missing for quite some time with knee and hamstring problems.
Raheem Sterling also returns to the starting lineup, a week after he was dropped from the starting lineup only to score off the bench against Southampton.
Manchester United – De Gea; Rafael, Jones, Vidic, Evra; Mata, Fellaini, Carrick, Januzaj; Rooney, van Persie.
Bench – Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Cleverley, Kagawa, Valencia, Young, Welbeck.
Liverpool – Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Flanagan; Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Sterling; Suarez, Sturridge.
Bench – Jones, Sakho, Cissokho, Lucas, Coutinho, Moses, Aspas.
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 5
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 4
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0