Mar 17, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
The Yehven Konoplyanka transfer saga has taken a new twist, as Dnipro president Igor Kolomoisky fired off several shots over the weekend at Liverpool and its handling of the January transfer window.
Konoplyanka did not arrive at Anfield due to what Dnipro said at the time were delays by Liverpool, and the failure to land the Ukrainian was a big reason many though the Reds butchered the window (As an aside, it sure has turned out just fine for them, hasn’t it?).
And while Tottenham apparently joined the Konoplyanka fray late, Kolomoisky took to media microphones and recorders this week to say he prefers how Spurs operate and thinks players should choose London over Liverpool, anyway.
He even took an extra shot at Liverpool by calling Spurs “grown-up.” From 101greatgoals:
Not criticising Liverpool but if I’m interested in a player, like they were in final days, I’d do it on or two weeks before (the window closes).
I’m talking with Tottenham president (Daniel Levy). He wants Konoplyanka. We’re negotiating and we may even be close to signing a contract if Yevhen agrees.
If I was in Konoplyanka’s place I’d choose Tottenham. London, not Liverpool. Football is 90 minutes on the field, maybe two matches per week, but the rest of a footballer’s time should be living somewhere nice. London city life is preferable to Liverpool.
Negotiations with the Tottenham are on an entirely different level (to Liverpool’s) approach. Overall it’s all grown-up with an understanding of the interests of the player and the club.”
Away from the talk, most who’ve seen Konoplyanka play — whether at Dnipro or earlier this month against the US — know he’s a dynamic player with an electric skill set. He’d likely be a solid if not spectacular pickup for a Premier League team, and Spurs would relish Kolomoisky’s intentions ringing true.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3