Mar 17, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
The Yehven Konoplyanka transfer saga has taken a new twist, as Dnipro president Igor Kolomoisky fired off several shots over the weekend at Liverpool and its handling of the January transfer window.
Konoplyanka did not arrive at Anfield due to what Dnipro said at the time were delays by Liverpool, and the failure to land the Ukrainian was a big reason many though the Reds butchered the window (As an aside, it sure has turned out just fine for them, hasn’t it?).
And while Tottenham apparently joined the Konoplyanka fray late, Kolomoisky took to media microphones and recorders this week to say he prefers how Spurs operate and thinks players should choose London over Liverpool, anyway.
He even took an extra shot at Liverpool by calling Spurs “grown-up.” From 101greatgoals:
Not criticising Liverpool but if I’m interested in a player, like they were in final days, I’d do it on or two weeks before (the window closes).
I’m talking with Tottenham president (Daniel Levy). He wants Konoplyanka. We’re negotiating and we may even be close to signing a contract if Yevhen agrees.
If I was in Konoplyanka’s place I’d choose Tottenham. London, not Liverpool. Football is 90 minutes on the field, maybe two matches per week, but the rest of a footballer’s time should be living somewhere nice. London city life is preferable to Liverpool.
Negotiations with the Tottenham are on an entirely different level (to Liverpool’s) approach. Overall it’s all grown-up with an understanding of the interests of the player and the club.”
Away from the talk, most who’ve seen Konoplyanka play — whether at Dnipro or earlier this month against the US — know he’s a dynamic player with an electric skill set. He’d likely be a solid if not spectacular pickup for a Premier League team, and Spurs would relish Kolomoisky’s intentions ringing true.
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 3
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1