Mar 17, 2014, 7:27 PM EST
Didier Drogba badly wants to advance in the UEFA Champions League with a decision over Chelsea on Tuesday, but the Ivorian striker would love it if a Blues loss didn’t have to accompany a Galatasaray win.
Drogba spent 2004-2012 with Chelsea, picking up myriad accolades from the individual (FIFA World XI, Premier League Golden Boots) to the team (Premier League title, Champions League title). But if he’s the difference maker on Tuesday, don’t look for the celebrations he displayed so many times as a player at Stamford Bridge.
“With all the respect that I have for this club, for the fans and for the players, I might not celebrate, but if we win I’ll be happy.
“I just want to win the game, I just want to qualify. There’s nothing personal against Chelsea, there will never be.”
The clubs drew 1-1 in the first leg in Turkey, meaning Galatasaray will have to score to advance. Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is way of the threat posed by Drogba and his side, not to mention the emotions that will flow inside of the building given the stage and its players.
After calling Drogba “one of the best strikers in the world” and “one of the most important players in the history of the club,” Mourinho said the striker should one day rejoin Chelsea in some capacity.
“I think it has to happen one day,” he continued. “When, I don’t know. As a player, as a coach, as an ambassador, next year, in four, five years, in 10 years, I don’t know.
“But when a person represents so much to a club and when a club represents so much to a person, and that’s the case, I think he has to be back one day.”
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 2
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 3
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1