Mar 17, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
File this one under ‘bizarre photo of the weekend.’
Reuters has revealed that Mexican 2nd Division side Celaya took an unusual pre-match photo before kickoff against Merida on Saturday night, with each member of the Starting XI donning a bag over his head. Celaya lost the match 2-1.
The bags were marked with peso signs, the word “págame” (pay me) and a variety of unhappy faces – a message of the team’s disdain not being paid for the last two months. What’s more, the players took the photo while facing the director’s box.
As it turns out, the stunt seems to have worked as the club responded over Twitter: “The appropriate measures are being taken and the situation is being resolved.”
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 3
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 5
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 11
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 6
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8