Mar 17, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
File this one under ‘bizarre photo of the weekend.’
Reuters has revealed that Mexican 2nd Division side Celaya took an unusual pre-match photo before kickoff against Merida on Saturday night, with each member of the Starting XI donning a bag over his head. Celaya lost the match 2-1.
The bags were marked with peso signs, the word “págame” (pay me) and a variety of unhappy faces – a message of the team’s disdain not being paid for the last two months. What’s more, the players took the photo while facing the director’s box.
As it turns out, the stunt seems to have worked as the club responded over Twitter: “The appropriate measures are being taken and the situation is being resolved.”
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 1
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2