Mar 17, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Napoli left it both late and controversial in a 90th minute win over Torino, as striker Gonzalo Higuain’s match-winner featured some contact with his marker.
Higuain’s long run to capture a Marek Hamsik pass included a bit of a shove and perhaps of trip of Torino captain Kamil Glik, as the Polish international wound up skidding to the grass. Glik was only able to raise his arms to the official as Higuain finished his chance and earned all three points.
Meanwhile, Serie A No. 2 Roma’s 2-0 halftime lead didn’t equal an easy win, as i Lupi had to deal with a stiff challenge from Udinese in the second half before holding on for a 3-2 win.
Francesco Totti scored in the 22nd minute, preceding Mattia Destro’s seventh of the year eight minutes later. Gervinho coolly collected a long pass from Totti and slid a seeing-eye pass through Udinese defenders to find Destro, who touched around the keeper before finishing.
Morgan De Sanctis was almost unbeatable between the sticks with several athletic saves on Antonio Di Natale. One first half parry earned the keeper an on-field salute from the legendary Italian striker.
Giampiero Pinzi got Udinese on the board in the 51st minute, making the Little Zebras just the third team to score at Roma in the Serie A this season. But Vasilis Torosidis restored the advantage, producing a 3-1 score line with a low left-footed strike after a dash to the middle of the pitch from the right wing. Both Torosidis and Pinzi recorded their first goals with their club.
Dustan Basta finished off the scoring in the 81st minute to make it 3-2.
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 0
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0