Mar 19, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
My word, it’s happening.
An incredible night of UEFA Champions League action is unfolding at Old Trafford, after Manchester United took just 45 minutes to cancel out Olympiakos’ 2-0 lead from the first leg of their last 16 tie…. then five minutes into the second half United were ahead.
United, urged on by a raucous home crowd, opened the scoring in the 23rd minute as Robin van Persie slammed home a penalty kick to put the Red Devils 1-0 up, as the home fans started to dream of a monumental comeback.
Then just seconds before the break United pushed to level the score up on aggregate, and RVP scored his and United’s second of the match to send Old Trafford wild. A beautiful chipped ball from Michael Carrick found Wayne Rooney, and the Englishman found his strike partner RVP to slot home a cool finish as Old Trafford erupted just before the break. After the interval RVP smashed in a free kick to make it 3-0 on the night, and give himself a hat trick, as the Red Devils are flying at home.
It is now 3-2 on aggregate, but a goal from Olympiakos could scupper a remarkable European comeback.
You will not want to miss the second 45 minutes at Old Trafford, follow it live online via our partners over at Soccerly.
- MLS roundup: Goals galore as Sounders, Crew SC, Galaxy cruise to three points 0
- MLS Snapshot: LA Galaxy 2-1 Sporting Kansas City 0
- MLS Snapshot: Real Salt Lake 0-1 Vancouver Whitecaps 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 3-0 Orlando City SC 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0