Mar 19, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
My word, it’s happening.
An incredible night of UEFA Champions League action is unfolding at Old Trafford, after Manchester United took just 45 minutes to cancel out Olympiakos’ 2-0 lead from the first leg of their last 16 tie…. then five minutes into the second half United were ahead.
United, urged on by a raucous home crowd, opened the scoring in the 23rd minute as Robin van Persie slammed home a penalty kick to put the Red Devils 1-0 up, as the home fans started to dream of a monumental comeback.
Then just seconds before the break United pushed to level the score up on aggregate, and RVP scored his and United’s second of the match to send Old Trafford wild. A beautiful chipped ball from Michael Carrick found Wayne Rooney, and the Englishman found his strike partner RVP to slot home a cool finish as Old Trafford erupted just before the break. After the interval RVP smashed in a free kick to make it 3-0 on the night, and give himself a hat trick, as the Red Devils are flying at home.
It is now 3-2 on aggregate, but a goal from Olympiakos could scupper a remarkable European comeback.
You will not want to miss the second 45 minutes at Old Trafford, follow it live online via our partners over at Soccerly.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back former club Chelsea 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Frank Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer 0
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 2
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 5
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0