Mar 19, 2014, 4:49 PM EST
My word, it’s happening.
An incredible night of UEFA Champions League action is unfolding at Old Trafford, after Manchester United took just 45 minutes to cancel out Olympiakos’ 2-0 lead from the first leg of their last 16 tie…. then five minutes into the second half United were ahead.
United, urged on by a raucous home crowd, opened the scoring in the 23rd minute as Robin van Persie slammed home a penalty kick to put the Red Devils 1-0 up, as the home fans started to dream of a monumental comeback.
Then just seconds before the break United pushed to level the score up on aggregate, and RVP scored his and United’s second of the match to send Old Trafford wild. A beautiful chipped ball from Michael Carrick found Wayne Rooney, and the Englishman found his strike partner RVP to slot home a cool finish as Old Trafford erupted just before the break. After the interval RVP smashed in a free kick to make it 3-0 on the night, and give himself a hat trick, as the Red Devils are flying at home.
It is now 3-2 on aggregate, but a goal from Olympiakos could scupper a remarkable European comeback.
You will not want to miss the second 45 minutes at Old Trafford, follow it live online via our partners over at Soccerly.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0