Mar 19, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Thanks to last month’s 4-2 loss in St. Petersburg, Zenit still need two goals to go through ahead of Borussia Dortmund, but if the Russians were only playing for pride ahead of today’s UEFA Champions League match in Germany, they got something better. In the 16th minute of today’s Round of 16 second leg, Brazilian international Hulk did this, making BVB pay for giving him room on his left foot.
In fairness to Jurgen Klopp’s team, Hulk had to do some work before he got the shot off, moving away from man on the right before cutting toward the arch. From what looks like 30 yards out, Hulk elects to take a shot, a distance that would normally make any opposing coach happy to get the ball back. But after coming across the ball with his left foot, Hulk sent his shot bending away from Roman Weidenfeller, giving the Dortmund keeper little chance to stop one of the goals of the tournament.
The score brought Zenit to within one, but with BVB having scored four times in Russia, Sergei Semak’s team needed two more to make this final eight. Shortly before halftime at the Westfalenstadion, Sebastian Kehl has restored Dortmund’s lead. It’s now 5-3 (agg.), Dortmund.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 1
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3