Mar 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
On Saturday Arsene Wenger will take charge of his 1000th game as manager of Arsenal.
Think about that for a second. Yeah, he’s an institution.
Right now, 17 years with one club is unheard of in the modern era of the Premier League as Wenger is currently the longest-serving boss in England’s top-flight. The 64-year-old Frenchman was appointed in late September 1996 after previously managing Nancy, AS Monaco and Nagoya Grampus Eight.
Since then Wenger has won 11 trophies with the Gunners, including four PL and four FA Cup trophies. Speaking ahead of the landmark occasion on Saturday, Wenger says he’s still learning each and every week despite his vast experience at the highest level.
“You learn from every game. You learn more from the lost games than the games won,” Wenger said. “Certainly because you go into deeper analysis, you question yourself more, you question the players more and you learn basically the most from the higher the level goes up, the more you see the limitations of your team and your players. You learn the most in the biggest games when the pressure is there, when the talent is against you and when the pace of the game is at the top, top level. This is where you learn.”
Looking back at Wenger’s time in charge of the Gunners, it’s hard not to get nostalgic about the superstar’s Wenger has managed over the last 999 games.
But if you could choose any of the players he’s managed, and select a best XI, who would you pick? I’ve picked my team below, let me know who you think should be in Wenger’s best XI in the comments section below.
JPW’s best starting lineup from the Wenger era
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 0
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0
- VOTE – Best choice for MLS expansion: Las Vegas, Sacramento or Minneapolis? 2
- Manchester United’s Radamel Falcao suffers new injury setback 0
- Mats Hummels to Manchester United rumors persist. Can it happen in January? 1
- Report: Arsenal have deal in place to sign Chelsea’s Petr Cech 1