Europa League roundup: Juventus eliminates Fiorentina; Sevilla needs penalty kicks to see out rival Betis
Mar 20, 2014, 8:22 PM EST
Real Betis earned a shock win last week at the Sanchez Pizjuan, its 2-0 lead after leg one of its Europa League Round of 16 matchup with rival Sevilla giving the verdiblancos hope a run in Europe could overshadow a relegation-destined campaign. But Gabriel Calderón’s team is ultimately a 20th place side, which made Sevilla’s comeback today at the Estadio Benito Villamarín less remarkable than expected. After 90 minutes of the second Seville derby in eight days, the visitors had forced extra time with their own 2-0 result.
Thirty minutes later, the teams’ quarterfinals fates would be decided by penalty kicks. After Vitolo opened with a miss for Sevilla, each team make their next three, leaving Alfred N’Diaye‘s miss to bring the rojiblancos even at the end of the fourth round. A conversation from Ivan Rakitic followed by a miss from Nono sent Unai Emery’s side through.
Form may go out the window in derbies, but over 180 minutes, talent has a better chance of shining through. After one leg, Real Betis were on the verge of seeing its rivals out of Europe. Seven days later, they’re the ones on the outside looking in, no longer holding out hope Europa can offset their inevitable return to the second division.
- Anzhi Makhachkala 0-0 (0-1) AZ Alkmaar – Aron Johannsson’s early penalty kick in leg one ends up sending last year’s Dutch Cup winners into Europa’s final eight.
- Valencia 1-0 (4-0) Ludogrets – The Bulgarians’ three-goal loss at home sealed their fate, with Pace Alcácer’s second half score that the Mestalla confirming their ouster.
- Viktoria Plzen 2-1 (3-5) Olympique Lyonnais – Bafetimbi Gomis’s goal just before half time put Lyon up four. It also cancelled out the Czech champions’ away goal. Goals near the hour from Daniel Kolár and Stanislav Teci made the final more respectable.
- Benfica 2-2 (5-3) Tottenham Hotspur – Much like in Plzen, an early goal confirmed the first leg’s lopsided result. Nacer Chadli, however, tried to bring Spurs back with a late brace only to see Lima’s 95th minute penalty kick conversation see Tottenham out of Europe.
- Fiorentina 0-1 (1-2) Juventus – A piece of free kick magic from Andrea Pirlo saw Juventus take the lead in the 71st minute, with the 10-man Viola left short-handed after Gonzalez Rodríguez’s 69th minute dismissal.
- Napoli 2-2 (2-3) Porto – Second half goals from Nabil Ghilas and Ricardo Quaresma left Porto up two after Goran Pandev’s early opener. Needing three goals to go through, the partenopei would only get Duván Zapata’s stoppage time consolation.
- Red Bull Salzburg 1-2 (1-2) Basel - Held scoreless in leg one, Basel saw Marek Suchy sent off in the ninth minute. Soon after, Jonathan Soriano gave Red Bull a 1-0 lead. In the second half, though, a 10-man Basel saw Marco Streller score the decisive goal in the 50th minute, with Gaston Sauro adding insurance 10 minutes later.
Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST
Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Spanish giants drop Christian symbol as they link up with Abu Dhabi based bank.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?
Nov 27, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Watch the incident unfold, as Brazilian striker is behind bars.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST
Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST
Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST
Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:15 PM EST
Is the FA getting too involved in non-events?
Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST
Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.
Nov 26, 2014, 9:10 PM EST
Thigh injury sidelines Moses for 8 weeks.
Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST
“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST
Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.
Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST
All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.
Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 PM EST
The raid on Southampton continues, as their recruiting guru heads to Spurs.
Nov 26, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
It was an upbeat display from the Gunners, who move on to the Champions League knockout stage.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3