Europa League roundup: Juventus eliminates Fiorentina; Sevilla needs penalty kicks to see out rival Betis
Mar 20, 2014, 8:22 PM EDT
Real Betis earned a shock win last week at the Sanchez Pizjuan, its 2-0 lead after leg one of its Europa League Round of 16 matchup with rival Sevilla giving the verdiblancos hope a run in Europe could overshadow a relegation-destined campaign. But Gabriel Calderón’s team is ultimately a 20th place side, which made Sevilla’s comeback today at the Estadio Benito Villamarín less remarkable than expected. After 90 minutes of the second Seville derby in eight days, the visitors had forced extra time with their own 2-0 result.
Thirty minutes later, the teams’ quarterfinals fates would be decided by penalty kicks. After Vitolo opened with a miss for Sevilla, each team make their next three, leaving Alfred N’Diaye‘s miss to bring the rojiblancos even at the end of the fourth round. A conversation from Ivan Rakitic followed by a miss from Nono sent Unai Emery’s side through.
Form may go out the window in derbies, but over 180 minutes, talent has a better chance of shining through. After one leg, Real Betis were on the verge of seeing its rivals out of Europe. Seven days later, they’re the ones on the outside looking in, no longer holding out hope Europa can offset their inevitable return to the second division.
- Anzhi Makhachkala 0-0 (0-1) AZ Alkmaar – Aron Johannsson’s early penalty kick in leg one ends up sending last year’s Dutch Cup winners into Europa’s final eight.
- Valencia 1-0 (4-0) Ludogrets – The Bulgarians’ three-goal loss at home sealed their fate, with Pace Alcácer’s second half score that the Mestalla confirming their ouster.
- Viktoria Plzen 2-1 (3-5) Olympique Lyonnais – Bafetimbi Gomis’s goal just before half time put Lyon up four. It also cancelled out the Czech champions’ away goal. Goals near the hour from Daniel Kolár and Stanislav Teci made the final more respectable.
- Benfica 2-2 (5-3) Tottenham Hotspur – Much like in Plzen, an early goal confirmed the first leg’s lopsided result. Nacer Chadli, however, tried to bring Spurs back with a late brace only to see Lima’s 95th minute penalty kick conversation see Tottenham out of Europe.
- Fiorentina 0-1 (1-2) Juventus – A piece of free kick magic from Andrea Pirlo saw Juventus take the lead in the 71st minute, with the 10-man Viola left short-handed after Gonzalez Rodríguez’s 69th minute dismissal.
- Napoli 2-2 (2-3) Porto – Second half goals from Nabil Ghilas and Ricardo Quaresma left Porto up two after Goran Pandev’s early opener. Needing three goals to go through, the partenopei would only get Duván Zapata’s stoppage time consolation.
- Red Bull Salzburg 1-2 (1-2) Basel – Held scoreless in leg one, Basel saw Marek Suchy sent off in the ninth minute. Soon after, Jonathan Soriano gave Red Bull a 1-0 lead. In the second half, though, a 10-man Basel saw Marco Streller score the decisive goal in the 50th minute, with Gaston Sauro adding insurance 10 minutes later.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
The transfer deadline looms large as the Premier Leagues 20 teams head into Week 4. Who will be the panic buyers of 2015?
Aug 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Yeah, you know Stanford’s Jordan Morris, but Washington’s Mason Robertson and Oregon State’s Timmy Mueller outscored him last year and will look to do the same this season.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Neymar could be a stunt double for Limerick’s Barry Cotter.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
UCL draw hands two PL teams favorable groups. As for the other two… woof.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Argentine superstar picks up second UEFA Best Player award after stunning treble-winning season.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The stars will be out in force as heavyweights collide at the first hurdle.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Experienced center backs both missed Liverpool game through injury. Will they return this weekend?
Aug 27, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
All the latest gossip from around the PL.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
Super Mario knows he is running out of chances to salvage his career.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Gunners boss says he will be available “24 hours” as Deadline Day approaches.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:28 AM EDT
Back in black, the Red Devils have a snazzy new jersey for their UCL games this season.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Have City given up on signing KDB this summer?
Aug 26, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Three matches certainly don’t tell the tale of an entire season, but it’s a decent length chapter in the story of the 2015-16 Premier League.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:42 PM EDT
Martinez wants Stones to stay, and says chairman Bill Kenwight isn’t going to cash in this late in the window.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
The Times’ Chief Football Correspondant Oliver Kay says the move should be done soon, and for less than $90 million.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:07 PM EDT
Forget the weaker opposition for a second, and enjoy that the 18-year-old Zelalem was dynamite.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:42 PM EDT
A retooled group stage draw could provide some incredibly high-profile groups for this season’s UEFA Champions League.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:23 PM EDT
“He has the best mentality that you can imagine,” Van Gaal said of his star striker.
Aug 26, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Rog and Davo break down Chelsea’s first win of the season, Manchester City’s perfect start and a red carpet MLS affair between LA Galaxy and NYCFC.
Aug 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Your final 32 teams in the 2016 UEFA Champions League have been determined after Wednesday’s five second legs, and Manchester United is in.
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9
- 2015-16 Premier League Power Rankings, Vol. I: Taking very early stock with Man City on top 8