Mar 20, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Stoke City may be about to add yet another North American to their ranks, as Canadian youngster Michael Petrasso is catching the eye of Mark Hughes.
Petrasso, 18, is a product of Toronto FC’s academy and Hughes signed him for Queens Park Rangers while he was boss at Loftus Road in 2012. QPR winger Petrasso has yet to play for the R’s first team, but has impressed on loan stints with Coventry City and Oldham Athletic this season as the young Canadian is making quite a name for himself.
According to reports from the Daily Mail Canadian youth international Petrasso could be set to join Stoke this summer when his current contract expires, as Hughes has tracked his progress closely since he left West London. Petrasso has shone for QPR’s reserve team and has taken that good form to the professional level with two stints in League One aiding his development considerably.
Described in the report as a “marauding winger with pace and creativity” Petrasso has had rave reviews from Coventry and Oldham after playing 22 times and scoring twice in his debut season as a pro.
One thing’s for sure, Potters boss Hughes loves to sign North American talent. At QPR he signed Canadian attacker Junior Hoillett, at Stoke he has already signed American internationals Geoff Cameron, Brek Shea, Maurice Edu and Juan Agudelo. So, in a nutshell, it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to see Petrasso wind up at Stoke.
Would it be good for the former TFC youngsters development? Who knows.
But making a step up to the PL and getting loaned out to a Championship team would kick him on to the next level. Let’s see if it happens, if it does we could soon be looking out for another North American name in the English top-flight.
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 6