Champions League quarterfinal draw: Manchester United face Bayern Munich, as European giants collide
Mar 21, 2014, 7:22 AM EDT
The ‘Elite Eight’ of European soccer are left in the UEFA Champions League, and on Friday some monster ties were drawn out for the quarterfinals.
The four ties see an all-Spanish clash between La Liga title contenders Atletico Madrid and FC Barcelona, while Real Madrid will face Borussia Dortmund to try and avenge their semifinal defeat last season. Then the two Premier League teams were drawn out against tough opposition, as Chelsea face reigning French champions Paris Saint-German, while Manchester United face reigning European champions Bayern Munich.
Manchester United have the hardest draw on paper, as Bayern have looked superb throughout the group stages and first knockout round. The Red Devils have won just two of their nine meetings against the German powerhouse in the UCL, but one of those came in their dramatic 1999 final win to lift the famous trophy. As for Chelsea, Jose Mourinho’s men will travel to Paris for the first-leg, then welcome Zlatan Ibrahimovic and co. to Stamford Bridge for the return match.
For the first time in the Champions League era, all eight group winners have advanced to the quarterfinal stage as an incredibly strong competition has played out in 2013-14.
The first legs of the Champions League ties are set to be played on 1-2 April and the second legs on 8-9 April. The team listed first below will play at home in the first leg.
Atletico Madrid vs. FC Barcelona
Real Madrid vs. Borussia Dortmund
Paris Saint-Germain vs. Chelsea
Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3