Mar 21, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
With departing Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic on his way to Inter, he’s hoping not to leave England empty-handed.
According to Gazzetta dello Sport’s Tancredi Palmeri, Nemanja Vidic is looking to persuade Manchester City’s Edin Dzeko to come to Serie A with him.
The pair know each other well, battling often on either side of the Manchester derby since Dzeko’s arrival in the Premier League since 2011.
In Dzeko’s first season with City, Vidic hailed him as the “best player in the world…in my eyes.”
Rumors have been abundant of Dzeko’s departure pretty much since his arrival at the Etihad. Despite an outstanding goals-per-minute number, the Bosnian international has never been able to nail down a permanent starting position up front.
With the departure of Carlos Tevez this summer, he was supposed to be the guy this year, but with Sergio Aguero returning to top form and new boy Alvaro Negredo arriving in the Premier League with a bang, Dzeko has once again renewed his acquaintance with the Etihad bench.
However, despite his lack of playing time, Dzeko has still played a vital role for Manchester City throughout his time there, and has stuck with the Citizens even with plenty of suitors calling.
Vidic, however, could be a game-changer, as he could sell Dzeko on helping Inter return to Serie A greatness and take down Juventus who have held a chokehold on Serie A this season.
An Inter move for a striker would make sense, with an aging Diego Milito playing a reduced role, Rodrigo Palacio himself at 32, and Mauro Icardi still just 21. Milito himself claimed in February that the club was in a “period of reconstruction.”
The Manchester United defender announced in early March that he would be heading to Inter at the end of this season.
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9
- 2015-16 Premier League Power Rankings, Vol. I: Taking very early stock with Man City on top 8