Mar 21, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Following the UEFA Champions League quarterfinal draw, one tie stuck out head and shoulders above the rest: Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich.
With the Red Devils stuttering through the current Premier League campaign, but somehow finding themselves in the last eight of Europe, they now facing the reigning European champions Bayern to make the semis. David Moyes‘ men have arguably been handed the toughest draw, but will be relishing the chance to knock Bayern off their perch as European champions elect.
Munich have been in ominous form throughout the 2013-14 season, with Pep Guardiola demolishing the old playing style which saw them win the treble last season… and somehow making the Bavarian club even better.
On their day, United can beat anyone. With supreme individual talents like Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie, Bayern won’t be relishing a trip to Old Trafford in the first leg. But surely United would have preferred to play away at the Allianz Arena first, then bring the Germans back to Manchester for a showdown.
These two teams have squared off nine times in Champions League history, United winning just twice, drawing four times and losing on three occasions. One of those victories came in the UCL final in 1999 when United famously scored twice in the final minute to break Bayern’s hearts and win the title.
Can they break Bayern’s hearts again this season? Vote below to let us know, as United are the heavy under dogs vs. Bayern.
- Americans Abroad Preview: Guzan, Howard face tests; Bundesliga opens 0
- Balotelli flies to Liverpool for medical, but won’t play against Man City 6
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The Benefit of Mid-Week Edition 0
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 6
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 9