Mar 22, 2014, 7:27 AM EDT
On the eve of his 1,000 game in charge of Arsenal, Arsène Wenger still has not signed a contract extension that will keep him at the London club past this summer – leading to plenty of speculation over whether the Frenchman will be off in search of greener pastures.
But don’t worry too much, Arsenal fans. On Friday, Wenger’s words regarding his new contract were rather reassuring: “My commitment is full. I do not want to look somewhere else. I want to stay here. There shouldn’t be any uncertainty at all. My desire is to stay. It will be done soon but I want now to focus on the end of the season.”
The club had hoped for the formalities to be completed prior to Saturday’s early clash with Chelsea, a much-anticipated meeting between two sides challenging for the Premier League title. What better way to give the squad a boost than announce that their manager would be staying?
Because Wenger’s extension would not only mean continuity and stability at the club, but it would also signify Arsenal’s willingness to commit the resources necessary to win trophies regularly. The Gunners last won the Premier League title ten seasons ago and lifted the FA Cup a year after that, in 2005. Since then the trophy cabinet has remained unchanged, something Wenger is desperate to change – hence his need for greater resources.
If Arsenal have Wenger putting pen to paper on extension and are willing to commit to investing further in the club, will another trophy finally find its way to the Gunners’ cabinet? Or, even, will they manage to right themselves sooner, beating Chelsea and moving to within a point of first on Saturday?
- FOLLOW LIVE — Copa America: Peru and Paraguay clash for third place 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0
- Chelsea confirm season-long loan deal for Radamel Falcao 3
- MLS preview: Timbers vs. Earthquakes, Galaxy vs. Toronto FC headline Week 18 0