Mar 22, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
There was no mercy on Saturday from the Premier League’s top three, with Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester City combining for an incredible 17 goals. But whereas Brendan Rodgers and Manuel Pellegrini’s teams took advantage of clubs struggling for their Premier League survivals, José Mourinho’s first place Blues’ beat up on a now former title contender. That the title contender question happened to be rival Arsenal meant Saturdays’ headlines belonged to Chelsea. The 6-0 win over the Gunners maintained the leaders’ four-point advantage on Liverpool.
At the other end of the table, the bottom three remained unchanged, with Fulham, Cardiff City and Sunderland each losing by multiple goals. Thanks to Newcastle’s stoppage time goal from Papiss Cissé, however, the gap between the drop 18th (relegation) and 17th (safety) remained three points, with Crystal Palace’s 1-0 loss leaving the Eagles unable to improve on their league-low 19 goals.
Here are all the highlight’s from Saturday’s eight-game slate in the Premier League.
- MLS Snapshot: New York Red Bulls 4-1 Seattle Sounders 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0