WATCH: This blast from Columbus’s Bernardo Anor completes Venezuelan’s first half brace against Philadelphia
Mar 22, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Maybe blame Cristián Maidana on the giveaway. Or maybe point at Zac MacMath for not stopping this bomb. But don’t take too much credit away from Bernardo Anor. The Venezuela midfielder had to put a move on this one to send Columbus into halftime up two. With a rocket into the left side of MacMath’s goal, Anor gave the Crew a 2-0 lead at halftime against undefeated Philadelphia.
Anor had already made his mark in the 25th minute when he headed Columbus in front, blowing past Sebastien Le Toux on a corner kick to given the Union their first deficit of the season. Outplayed for most of the half, the visitors were within minutes of reaching halftime down one before Nogeuira’s giveaway sparked the Crew into transition.
That transition was a quick one, with Wil Trapp finding Anor well outside the penalty area. Dribbling to within 36 yards out, the midfielder’s left footer caught the defense and goalkeeper off guard, giving Columbus its fifth goal of the season.
After week one, there were still questions about the Crew, whose three-goal win in D.C. looked as much United’s failures as the Crew’s success. Today, against a Union team that had impressed over the season’s first 180 minutes, Columbus have continued to find goals, with a team that’s still yet to get a minute out of Dominic Oduro a +5 through their first game and a half under Gregg Berhalter.
Here’s the day’s first goal:
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 0
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0
- El Clasico: Luis Suarez, Barcelona and Real Madrid together at last 0