WATCH: This blast from Columbus’s Bernardo Anor completes Venezuelan’s first half brace against Philadelphia
Mar 22, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Maybe blame Cristián Maidana on the giveaway. Or maybe point at Zac MacMath for not stopping this bomb. But don’t take too much credit away from Bernardo Anor. The Venezuela midfielder had to put a move on this one to send Columbus into halftime up two. With a rocket into the left side of MacMath’s goal, Anor gave the Crew a 2-0 lead at halftime against undefeated Philadelphia.
Anor had already made his mark in the 25th minute when he headed Columbus in front, blowing past Sebastien Le Toux on a corner kick to given the Union their first deficit of the season. Outplayed for most of the half, the visitors were within minutes of reaching halftime down one before Nogeuira’s giveaway sparked the Crew into transition.
That transition was a quick one, with Wil Trapp finding Anor well outside the penalty area. Dribbling to within 36 yards out, the midfielder’s left footer caught the defense and goalkeeper off guard, giving Columbus its fifth goal of the season.
After week one, there were still questions about the Crew, whose three-goal win in D.C. looked as much United’s failures as the Crew’s success. Today, against a Union team that had impressed over the season’s first 180 minutes, Columbus have continued to find goals, with a team that’s still yet to get a minute out of Dominic Oduro a +5 through their first game and a half under Gregg Berhalter.
Here’s the day’s first goal:
- Done Deal: Daley Blind is officially a member of Manchester United 0
- Stoke want to keep USA’s Geoff Cameron, Southampton in the hunt 0
- Tottenham Hotspur offer $26 million plus Andros Townsend for Jay Rodriguez 1
- Julian Green completes loan move to Hamburg 0
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 2
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 1