Mar 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
In an attempt to dispel some animosity around the Bundesliga as well as a growing villainous reputation abroad, Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has spoken publicly about his club’s intentions.
With many recent moves by the Bavarians suggesting they are out to monopolize the Bundesliga, Rummenigge says otherwise.
“We are not buying any player from [Borussia] Dortmund or Schalke just to hurt these clubs,” the chairman insisted. “We are just buying players who can give FC Bayern more quality straight away.”
With Bayern prying Robert Lewandowski and Mario Gotze from Dortmund and stealing Mario Mandzukic and Dante from Wolfsburg and Borussia Monchengladbach respectively in the summer of 2012, the club has developed a reputation of hoarding top Bundesliga talent.
So, with that in mind, Rummenigge took the opportunity to rule the club out of a big-money summer move for one of the league’s best and brightest talents. “I can rule out that we will sign Julian Draxler in the summer,” the chairman said. “I do not know [if he wants to come to Bayern]. We never talked to his agents.”
That will be music to Arsene Wenger‘s ears, with Arsenal heavily linked to the young German international.
Finally, Rummenigge took the opportunity to stake his claim that Mandzukic, heavily rumored to be on his way out, will instead stay at Bayern.
“I am aware that several clubs are interested in him but I think he will stay past the end of this season,” said Rummenigge.
With Lewandowski on his way in, Mandzukic will have to fight for his starting spot at the head of Bayern’s attack.
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0
- Southampton 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Visitors twice come back from Pelle goals 0
- Watch Live: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool (Lineups and Live Stream) 0