Mar 23, 2014, 7:11 PM EST
Well this was a more proper and familiar Manchester United week, wasn’t it?
Wayne Rooney‘s Saturday brace against West Ham included a thing of beauty long volley from just past the center line (WATCH HERE). It had many comparing the goal to David Beckham’s long range goal for United against Wimbledon, and it seems like Rooney prefers his tally.
“I remember Beckham’s goal, it was one of the most iconic goals in Premier League history.
“That was a great strike but they are two different goals. His was on the floor, mine was on the volley.”
So was the goal better than Beckham’s? You be the judge, but it deserves a debate at a minimum.
Meanwhile, buoyed by back-to-back shutouts of Olympiakos and West Ham United, David Moyes is buzzing ahead of Tuesday’s derby date with Manchester City.
City has won its last two dates at Old Trafford by scores of 2-1 and 6-1, but Moyes is feeling good about his Red Devils, now five points back of fifth-place Spurs and three back of sixth spot Everton.
“We’ll go into our next game confident and ready to get a result,” said Moyes.
It’s a quite different Moyes from the version criticized for not expounding confidence ahead of United’s recent match with Liverpool. And as reports leaked that Moyes may have landed William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon for next season at $62 million, there seems to have been life injected into the Red Devils side.
Rooney sounds optimistic for the derby as well.
“It’s an exciting game and hopefully we’ll get the result.”
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 6