Mar 23, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
In the absence of some key players, Seattle’s Lamar Neagle was the pivotal man as Seattle picked up its second win of the season while keeping Montreal winless in a 2-0 victory in Quebec.
Brad Evans and Clint Dempsey were unavailable for the Sounders, who fended off a shot-ready attack from Montreal. The Impact were credited with 25 shots in the match to Seattle’s nine, though just six were on frame.
Troy Perkins made some big saves as usual, but it was his misfortune that got Seattle on the board. Gonzalo Pineda’s free kick was headed off the frame by Neagle, but the ball hit Perkins and entered the goal to give Seattle a 1-0 lead in the 8th minute.
Perkins got his body on the second goal as well, this time a hand, as Obafemi Martins headed home a Kenny Cooper cutback cross to double Seattle’s lead. And yes, he went flip city in celebration.
Frank Klopas is now staring at an 0-3 start to his time in Montreal. The only other team without a point this season is DC United, which has only played twice.
Seattle improves to 2-1-0, their lone loss coming against Toronto FC. Stefan Frei was strong between the sticks for the visitors, who also got several impressive moments from DeAndre Yedlin.
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0