Mar 23, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Emmanuel Adebayor has been ruled out following a heel injury that will keep him out of today’s matchup with Southampton.
Adebayor missed the midweek loss to Benfica with a gashed knee, but according to Stan Collymore on Twitter, the Togolese international suffered a new heel injury in the buildup to this game.
Sherwood has dealt with a rash of injuries of late, and Adebayors will only add to his misery. On the back line, captain Michael Dawson makes his return from a hamstring injury, although he can only make the bench and Younes Kaboul once again starts next to Jan Vertonghen.
For Southampton, they have the ability to jump Newcastle in the table with a win today to go eighth.
Jack Cork is a late boost for the Saints in midfield, but with Victor Wanyama still out and a miss from Morgan Schneiderlin with a groin injury, Jake Ward-Prowse comes in alongside Cork and Steven Davis in the central midfield.
Tottenham – Lloris; Naughton, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose; Lennon, Bentaleb, Chadli, Dembele, Eriksen; Soldado.
Bench – Friedel, Dawson, Fryers, Paulinho, Sigurdsson, Townsend, Kane.
Southampton – Boruc; Clyne, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw; Cork, Ward-Prowse, S. Davis, Lallana, Rodriguez; Lambert.
Bench – Gazzaniga, Yoshida, Ramírez, Chambers, Hooiveld, Reed, Gallagher.
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 0
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 4
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 5
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0
- From Prague, with love: Klinsmann previews USA’s friendly vs. Czech Republic 4