Are these leaked images of the new USMNT away shirt for World Cup?

Mar 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

usmnt-world-cup-away-shirt-sm-600x683

World Soccer Talk brings us more leaked images of the alleged away shirt for the United States’ 2014 World Cup charge through Brazil.

The post compares them to Bomb Pops (yes, the popsicles) and the tops worn by a certain pizza chain’s delivery drives and, well, that’s fairly astute.

source:

source:

They aren’t hideous, but — if authentic — they do continue to beg the question of why the US refuses to go with a standard look for their shirts. I recognize that the away shirts will always dare to be a little different, but wouldn’t you appreciate the strip more if they stayed with the same dark blue? Or even the same blue at all?

When I think of soccer powers, I think of identities. We know the blue hue of Italy, the green of Mexico and the orange of Holland. Can’t we roll how our flag rolls? For goodness sake, they certainly sell enough flag-branded apparel at gas stations nationwide to know the flag is working for people.

Perhaps our identity is over-thinking it and putting out something mediocre?

1. anonymous135 - Mar 24, 2014 at 8:17 PM

ou la la mon dieu

2. vin904 - Mar 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I’m into the candy cane kits. These latest leaked jerseys look like they’re for team Russia

3. mianfr - Mar 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I’m ok with them. I think the white jerseys we wore throughout WC qualifying with the thin blue hoops was by far the nicest, though.

4. the0verheadwire - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Can Nike or the US stop making horrific jerseys. Just use the centennial white jersey and a navy blue one with a red as third. Is it that hard to just be simple and elegant?

5. overtherepermanently - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:16 AM

The centennial kit and crest were fantastic. I’ve always been a fan of the navy, either the most recent, or with the sash. I just want them to stick to a basic framework of what we should look like. Fail, fail, fail for this World Cup.

6. dfstell - Mar 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Ehh…..on one hand, I’d like to have classic and consistent kits. But that’s not how it works. If we had classy and consistent kits, Nike wouldn’t give US Soccer as much money as they do and then we’d have less money to grow the program with. Brazil/England/France/Germany/Italy/Argentina kinda had the classic looks and were already world-class soccer powers without needing the Nike money.

If we’d been a world class power before we got the Nike money, we’d have classic kits.

7. maverickstar - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:03 AM

So we have a golf shirt for one jersey, and borrowed Russias for the other.

I felt like the USA jerseys have all been great since the 2010 World Cup, until this year. Disappointing. Sadly with Nike, I just expect more designs to be bad than good.

8. midtec2005 - Mar 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I like it. I like designs that are a little away from convention, as long as they aren’t ridiculously flashy (see 94 WC uniform).

9. cmchambre - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Ah? This is a joke right? That is the national flag of France !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are Red/White and Blue not Blue/White and red. Is there anybody in the uniform department over there that has any historical knowledge about the correct way in representing the United States, or do they just make it up ae they go along?

• zxlaa - Mar 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM

…maybe the stripes should be vertical.

10. dws110 - Mar 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM

“They aren’t hideous”…no, we need a word much stronger than hideous to describe these abominations. These shirts left hideous far, far behind. Although, to be fair, the clip art crest done all in a white outline just screams class.

11. creek0512 - Mar 25, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Horrible.

12. boscoesworld - Mar 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Let all of the Nike employees where these rags for a week and let’s see if they still want to spring this on the world!!

13. zxlaa - Mar 26, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I think they look like vintage hockey jerseys used to in the 1920’s. I like them.

Week 2: Saturday PL preview