Mar 24, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
According to TSN’s Tony Marinaro, reinforcements are coming for Frank Klopas’ 0-3 Montreal Impact in the form of 29-year-old Argentine midfielder Ignacio Piatti of San Lorenzo.
Typo: According 2 a source #IMFC have signed a 3year deal over 10m with Argentine winger Ignacio Piatti. He will be a DP & join team in June
— Tony Marinaro (@TonyMarinaro) March 24, 2014
That’s a lot of dough for a non-capped international whose professional career has included a good deal of bouncing around the Argentine top flight and Serie A/B with Lecce, though he’s found his stride with 11 goals in 40 appearances since arriving back in Argentina in 2012.
Still, Montreal’s hand may have been forced by a poor start that seems to be validating Matteo Ferrari’s offseason criticism, and whether there’s a season worth saving upon his June arrival could become a bit of a question.
Alessandro Nesta and Davy Arnaud left, two key veterans who instilled a bit of identity into the Impact. They signed 21-year-old “Special Discovery” Santiago Gonzalez, but little else was done outside the SuperDraft.
After opening the season with a 3-2 loss in Dallas, Montreal has been blanked in back-to-back matches. That includes Sunday’s home opener, which included a lot of shots against a shorthanded Seattle team but no finish.
It’s insanely early in the year, and Montreal has a good keeper in Troy Perkins along with a number of other names (Marco di Vaio, Felipe Martins, Heath Pearce). They also have a strong coach who is still implementing his system.
But in a league where the difference between playoff spots and also-rans is a point here and a point there, Montreal needs to stop the bleeding soon before it’s playing catch-up well before Piatti arrives (if he’s coming at all).
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Benzema to Arsenal, Berahino to Tottenham 1
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Chelsea 1
- Russian president Vladimir Putin believes Sepp Blatter deserves Nobel Prize 6
- Monday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: PSG’s $133 million Ronaldo bid, Stones to Chelsea 2
- Amid reports of journalist brawl, Mexico boss Miguel Herrera looks ahead to USMNT showdown 9
- Manchester United lack creativity to challenge top clubs, says Louis van Gaal 6