Mar 24, 2014, 11:06 AM EST
Billy Davies has been sacked as manager of Nottingham Forest with the Nottinghamshire club set to hire Neil Warnock as his replacement.
Forest confirmed the sacking Monday after widespread speculation that Davies was done with the club following a miserable run of form that culminated in a 5-0 loss to Derby County on Saturday.
Unnamed sources of Sky Sports claim that Warnock is set to take over the club immediately, meaning he’ll be in place when Forest play Charlton on Tuesday.
The Sky Bet Championship club’s official website thanked Davies for his efforts:
“Nottingham Forest Football Club have confirmed the termination of manager Billy Davies’ employment. The club thank Mr Davies for his efforts during his second spell as manager since his re-appointment in February 2013 and wish him well for the future. Nottingham Forest will make a further announcement in due course.”
Seven weeks ago Forest was flying high on the heels of a 12-match league unbeaten streak and in prime position to battle for Premier League promotion. Things changed, however, on February 11th when Forest lost to Huddersfield Town 3-0. Since then Davies side has gone winless in seven straight matches, slipping out of the Championship play-off places.
Forest currently sit 7th in the table and have nine matches to make up a two point difference on 6th placed Reading. And now, in a decision that looks equal parts ‘panic’ as it does ‘justified’, Forest is putting their faith on the experience hands of Warnock. The 65-year-old has managed 10 different clubs during his managerial career including QPR, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United and, most recently, Leeds.
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 0
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0
- VOTE – Best choice for MLS expansion: Las Vegas, Sacramento or Minneapolis? 2
- Manchester United’s Radamel Falcao suffers new injury setback 0
- Mats Hummels to Manchester United rumors persist. Can it happen in January? 1
- Report: Arsenal have deal in place to sign Chelsea’s Petr Cech 1