Pep’s players can let loose if they clinch title Tuesday despite looming Champions League date with Manchester United
Mar 24, 2014, 7:16 PM EDT
If Bayern Munich wraps up their Bundesliga title with a win over Hertha Berlin on Tuesday, our friends at Soccerly say don’t expect manager Pep Guardiola to put the reins on a celebration… even with a Champions League date with Manchester United a week away.
The Bavarians have an almost-absurd 23-point lead on the field in the race for the 51st Bundesliga crown, and could’ve clinched over the weekend if Borussia Dortmund dropped points. Alas, they did not.
Yet if they win tomorrow, the boys can let loose:
“If we win, we have to celebrate,” said 43-year-old Guardiola, who is set to claim his third title in nine months at Bayern after winning the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup. “We want to win the title as soon as possible. Regardless of when we win it, the players will be fit and focused against Manchester.”
Guardiola has said he will not be taking a second suit to Berlin: “I won’t stay on the pitch, I’ll go to the dressing room” with celebrations planned for Munich’s Marienplatz when the season is over. Having won 14 out of a possible 19 titles in four years as coach of Barcelona, Guardiola is all but guaranteed his first Bundesliga title.
Good for him. Really, to be honest, I would not have expected otherwise. Raise your hand if you think celebrating the Bundesliga title takes focus away from becoming the first club to post back-to-back Champions League titles. If you’re hand is up, stop trying so hard.
Bayern has another league match on Saturday against Hoffenheim, and here’s hoping the impending European matches and already-clinched title will have them put “officially American” Julian Green on the first team pitch a bunch more. Let’s see what’s cooking with the 18-year-old.
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 2
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 2
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 5
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0