Mar 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
On Sunday reports emanated from Portugal linking a top class midfielder with a move to Manchester United this summer.
Now it seems as though Manuel Pellegrini have got wind of that, as the Citizens may raid Sporting Lisbon and throw a spanner into the works of David Moyes‘ planned offseason shopping.
The player at the center of this reported tug of war is: William Carvalho.
A Portuguese international, Carvalho is only 21, but the destructive central midfielder has a release clause of $62 million and Manchester United are said to have already held talks with the players representatives. However now City are sniffing around, as Carvalho would fit perfectly into their combative style in the engine room under Pellegrini. The promising midfielder has two caps for Portugal to his name and has scored three times in 23 appearances for Sporting this season.
Would the youngster prefer a switch to City?
Perhaps. It looks nailed on that the Citizens will be able to offer him UEFA Champions League soccer next season, while United will likely have that bargaining chip taken from them… unless they win this season’s UCL crown.
If you were Carvalho and two of English soccer’s biggest rivals were chasing you down, who would you choose?
In terms of regular playing time, it seems as though United would be the best option, however with City’s fortunes and chances of winning trophies seeming far better than their neighbors at Old Trafford for the foreseeable future, Carvalho may end up at the Etihad.
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0
- Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool 0
- Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win 0