Mar 25, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Coming off a dramatic weekend victory over Crystal Palace, Newcastle United will look to embolden their Europa League hopes today against visiting Everton, with Roberto Martínez‘s Toffees one of the teams the Magpies could catch in their quest for European soccer. The game kicks off at 3:45 p.m. ET, with live coverage available to stream via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Though manager Alan Pardew is still suspended, Newcastle enters today’s match having won three of their last our in league, a run that’s affirmed their grip on eighth place. But the Toon will need to move up one spot if they’re to reach Europe League, and with Manchester United only five points away ahead of its derby today against City, the Toffees’ visit gives Newcastle an opportunity to close the gap on the seventh place Red Devils.
To do so, they will have to continue to get by without forward Loic Remy, who has been crucial to Newcastle’s attack throughout the season. This weekend, however, the Magpies scored their first goal of the season without the Frenchman on the field, getting a stoppage time winner from Papiss Cissé to down Palace, 1-0.
Everton needed no such heroics to deal with visiting Swansea City. Though Swans eventually made it a one-goal game come full-time, Martínez’s side was up 3-1 by the hour mark, with goals from Leighton Baines, Romelu Lukaku, and Ross Barkley delivering the club’s third straight victory.
Everton enters today’s match only two points behind fifth place Tottenham, though the gap between themselves and fourth (eight) is too big to hope for more than Europa League. Today at St. James’ Park, the Toffees will be looking to strengthen their claim on one of the league’s European spots, potentially dealing a debilitating blow to their competition in the process.
Newcastle United: Krul; Yanga-Mbiwa, Williamson, Coloccini, Dummet; Sissoko, Anita, Tioté, Gouffran; de Jong, Cissé
Subs: Elliot, Haidara, S. Taylor, Gosling, Marveaux, Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi
Everton: Howard; Baines, Distin, Stones, Coleman; Barry, McCarthy; Deulofeu, Barkley, Osman; Lukaku
Subs: Robles, McGeady, Mirallas, Naismith, Garbutt, Alcaraz, Browning
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 2
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1