Mar 27, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
“Wrong One – Moyes Out”.
That’s the banner that, according to The Guardian, a group of Manchester United supporters are set to fly over Old Trafford during Saturday’s match against Aston Villa.
The banner represents the latest attempt by United fans to voice their ire over manager David Moyes‘ troubled season at Old Trafford.
Following last Tuesday’s 3-0 loss to rivals Manchester City, a number of isolated incidents were reported inside United’s ground including a steward having to usher one fan away from the dugout area, Sir Alex Ferguson being verbally abused and threats of tearing down “The Choosen One” banner in the Stretford End that bears Moyes’ face.
Scrutiny over the 50-year-old’s management of the club has been steadily increasing throughout their troubled season where they currently sit 7th in the table, 18 points adrift of leader’s Chelsea. It’s this poor domestic form that has already guaranteed United their worst-ever return in the Premier League era.
Despite fan backlash the club has publicly stated that Sir Alex Ferguson’s successor will be granted at least a second season as manager. These statements were brought into question yesterday, however, when Goal.com’s Duncan Castles reported that United’s senior hierarchy was “evaluating all possibilities” in trying to put an end to the club’s free-fall under Moyes.
The planned banner fly-over is the brain-child of supporters participating in the Red Issue forum, who came together to raise nearly $1,400 to pull off the stunt.
United and Villa kick-off Saturday at 8:00am ET on NBCSN.
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 0
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 0
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9