Mar 27, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Newcastle United were dealt another blow to their already difficult season as goalkeeper Tim Krul has been ruled out for this weekend’s match at Southampton due to a knee injury.
Krul suffered the injury during his side’s 3-0 loss to Everton on Tuesday night. Rob Elliot is expected to deputize in the Dutchman’s place.
“Tim won’t play, he’s out for these next two or three games for sure, so Rob Elliot will come in,” Alan Pardew said on Thursday.
“[Elliot] has made his international squad and he is keen to stay in that squad and he needs to play, so the opportunity lands at his feet. Rob is a confident goalie and he will look to take that on.”
Krul’s injury is yet another trough in Newcastle’s season of highs and lows. A number of high profile performances have been counter-balanced by a loss of key members to the club. Last January, the Magpies suffered a major blow when Yohan Cabaye was sold to PSG. After a dip in form, Newcastle recovered to earn some key results before Pardew was suspended for his head-butt of David Meyler in the 4-1 win over Hull City on March 1st.
The Magpies and Saints kick-off Saturday at 11:00am ET on NBC Live Extra.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0