Mar 27, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Newcastle United were dealt another blow to their already difficult season as goalkeeper Tim Krul has been ruled out for this weekend’s match at Southampton due to a knee injury.
Krul suffered the injury during his side’s 3-0 loss to Everton on Tuesday night. Rob Elliot is expected to deputize in the Dutchman’s place.
“Tim won’t play, he’s out for these next two or three games for sure, so Rob Elliot will come in,” Alan Pardew said on Thursday.
“[Elliot] has made his international squad and he is keen to stay in that squad and he needs to play, so the opportunity lands at his feet. Rob is a confident goalie and he will look to take that on.”
Krul’s injury is yet another trough in Newcastle’s season of highs and lows. A number of high profile performances have been counter-balanced by a loss of key members to the club. Last January, the Magpies suffered a major blow when Yohan Cabaye was sold to PSG. After a dip in form, Newcastle recovered to earn some key results before Pardew was suspended for his head-butt of David Meyler in the 4-1 win over Hull City on March 1st.
The Magpies and Saints kick-off Saturday at 11:00am ET on NBC Live Extra.
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 0
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 3
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3