Mar 27, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
Newcastle United were dealt another blow to their already difficult season as goalkeeper Tim Krul has been ruled out for this weekend’s match at Southampton due to a knee injury.
Krul suffered the injury during his side’s 3-0 loss to Everton on Tuesday night. Rob Elliot is expected to deputize in the Dutchman’s place.
“Tim won’t play, he’s out for these next two or three games for sure, so Rob Elliot will come in,” Alan Pardew said on Thursday.
“[Elliot] has made his international squad and he is keen to stay in that squad and he needs to play, so the opportunity lands at his feet. Rob is a confident goalie and he will look to take that on.”
Krul’s injury is yet another trough in Newcastle’s season of highs and lows. A number of high profile performances have been counter-balanced by a loss of key members to the club. Last January, the Magpies suffered a major blow when Yohan Cabaye was sold to PSG. After a dip in form, Newcastle recovered to earn some key results before Pardew was suspended for his head-butt of David Meyler in the 4-1 win over Hull City on March 1st.
The Magpies and Saints kick-off Saturday at 11:00am ET on NBC Live Extra.
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1