Mar 27, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Ahhh, Marouane Fellaini. He’s always good for a laugh or two.
The incident, which occurred in the 30th minute, clearly showed an on-the-ball Fellaini lean in and clobber the on-rushing Zabaleta with an elbow to the head.
Fellaini’s take on the incident?
Zabaleta “bounced” his jaw against him.
“I don’t know,” Fellaini explained, “but I certainly didn’t do it on purpose. I put my arm up to try and protect possession of the ball, and Zabaleta bounced [his jaw] against it. He was unlucky to make contact.”
Fellaini continued: “The movement by me was not in an aggressive manner. It was a defensive move to protect the ball.”
One person who had the Belgian’s back, at least initially, was David Moyes who at the time of the incident didn’t think a foul had been committed. He was later informed otherwise. “My first feeling is I’m surprised it is a free kick, but by what I am hearing people are saying it could have been worse,” he said in his post-match presser.
Much worse. As in, straight red. Video above, you be the judge.
You stay classy, Marouane.
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 0
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 0
- Watch Live: Swansea City vs Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man United looking for revenge vs. Swansea City 1
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 1