Mar 27, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Ahhh, Marouane Fellaini. He’s always good for a laugh or two.
The incident, which occurred in the 30th minute, clearly showed an on-the-ball Fellaini lean in and clobber the on-rushing Zabaleta with an elbow to the head.
Fellaini’s take on the incident?
Zabaleta “bounced” his jaw against him.
“I don’t know,” Fellaini explained, “but I certainly didn’t do it on purpose. I put my arm up to try and protect possession of the ball, and Zabaleta bounced [his jaw] against it. He was unlucky to make contact.”
Fellaini continued: “The movement by me was not in an aggressive manner. It was a defensive move to protect the ball.”
One person who had the Belgian’s back, at least initially, was David Moyes who at the time of the incident didn’t think a foul had been committed. He was later informed otherwise. “My first feeling is I’m surprised it is a free kick, but by what I am hearing people are saying it could have been worse,” he said in his post-match presser.
Much worse. As in, straight red. Video above, you be the judge.
You stay classy, Marouane.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1