Mar 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EST
He’s taken plenty of heat this season for the struggles of Manchester United. Heck, even planes will be flying over Old Trafford with messages of opposition this weekend.
To this point, he’s absorbed the criticism with a fair bit of class.
That has ended here. With more reports of the dressing room turning on its manager, he’s turned on them, telling English media the current squad is deficient enough that even “if Sir Alex was here it would be difficult for him.”
Moyes expanded on his opinion, pointing to the age of the squad as a contributing factor. “People are aware there is a squad that is aging, so I think it would have been a tough season for whoever was in charge of Manchester United this year.”
He labeled the struggles this season “so un-Man United” which could qualify for understatement of the year. This will likely be the first time in Premier League history that Manchester United finish outside the top-four.
To be fair, Moyes has a point about the squad. It’s hard to imagine any top manager having decent success with players such as Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra, and Rio Ferdinand looking slow and out of their depth as they reach 32 years old, and Robin van Persie struggling with injury after just topping 30.
But whether he’s right or not (which, by the way, he is) it’s a monumental moment for Moyes, who has maintained a positive and upbeat personality through the thick and (mostly) thin this season, to finally admit his squad flat out isn’t good enough.
Moyes also better be careful what he wishes for…
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0