Mar 29, 2014, 6:50 AM EDT
Arsenal host Manchester City at 1:30 p.m. ET on Saturday – and even Arsène Wenger admits that the Gunners need a win if they want to stay in the race for the Premier League title.
Currently in fourth, Arsenal are six points away from Chelsea in first. But the Blues should have an easy time of it at Crystal Palace, while there will likely be nothing simple about Manchester City’s visit. The Citizens are unbeaten in their last five, keeping a clean sheet all the while. Then there’s the added complication that, although City are currently third, they also have two games in hand.
That makes this match something like a title six-pointer, if such a thing exists. And both managers know it.
“I think that if we win on Saturday we can be 12 points on top of Arsenal if we win the two games that here we have in hand,” said Manuel Pellegrini. But the City manager is keeping perspective: “”It is a match of six points but it is not the last match and not the match that will decide the title.”
While Pellegrini is thinking about a twelve-point gap, Wenger is focused on pulling even with the visitors: “City are favourites with Chelsea and Liverpool to win the title but when you play one of the favourites you have the opportunity to shorten the distance. Champions keep going when everybody else would give up and we have an opportunity to show we have that mentality on Saturday.”
After a 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea and losing out on three points against Swansea midweek, mental fortitude doesn’t seem to be high on the list of traits Arsenal possess. But if there’s ever a time to prove they can think like champions, this game against Manchester City would certainly be it.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 0
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3