Mar 29, 2014, 8:41 AM EDT
When one of the richest clubs in the world starts sniffing around your best players, what do you do? Well, if you’re Chelsea, another one of the most-monied clubs, you simply slap on an outrageous price tag and call it good.
Speculation in France suggests Paris Saint-Germain might be looking to pick up Oscar and Eden Hazard. When asked about the possibility, José Mourinho first implied that the club shouldn’t be able to make the purchase – that UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations would prevent PSG from continuing in their free-spending ways.
But the Chelsea manager went on: “If there is no Financial Fair Play and they threw something crazy, £300million for both, I think Chelsea has to think about it.”
£300m. That’s $500 million. That’s quite a chunk of change. Then again, Hazard is currently Chelsea’s top scorer, with fourteen in the Premier League. The 23-year-old also has seven assists, his finesse and skill allowing him to create excellent opportunities for his teammates.
Including Oscar, who currently has eight goals in the league, as well as four in the FA Cup. The Brazilian has thrived on Mourinho’s belief in his talent, and will surely only improve, as he’s just 22 years old.
So $500m might sound like a ridiculous sum. But these attackers are Chelsea’s best players, so why not make an audacious demand from a side that actually has the money to fulfill it?
Chelsea travel to Paris next week to take on PSG in the Champions League quarter-finals. It’ll be a good opportunity for the hosts to assess just how badly they want these two players.
- FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT takes on Peru in important tune-up match (Lineups) 0
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 6
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 36