Mar 29, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
Mark Hughes’ Stoke City is now unbeaten in five matches after scrapping together a 1-0 home win over Hull City on Saturday at the Britannia Stadium thanks to a second-half goal from resurgent Peter Odemwingie.
The Potters now have 40 points on the season and solid-footing in the top half of the table, while Hull is now seven points clear of the drop zone after sacrificing the points.
Stoke had a good amount of the play early but their passes were a hair off, in particular deep in Hull territory. The Potters control went into the 10th minute, when Tom Huddlestone tore into a ball from about 22 yards away only to see it deflected out for a corner that came to nothing.
The two clubs couldn’t find a goal when they matched up at Hull earlier this season, and it stood 0-0 at the half. It was a gritty first 45 minutes that didn’t provide much to look at for supporters. If you’re a neutral, you were looking for a better match elsewhere by the half-hour mark, though Shane Long provided a few moments worth watching.
Stoke broke through in the 62nd through Odemwingie, who took advantage of lax defending and fired a low left-footed shot past a diving Harper to put the Potters ahead 1-0. It came off a horrible pass from Ahmed Elmohamady. The Potters had all the play, and a Harper save in the 75th kept the deficit at just one.
The goal was Odemwingie’s fourth in his last three matches, all Stoke wins.
Stoke City: Begovic; Pieters, Wilson, Shawcross, Cameron; Arnautovic (Adam, 85′), Nzonzi, Whelan (Palacios, 81′); Ireland, Odemwingie, Crouch (Guidetti, 86′)
Goals: Odemwingie (62)
Hull City: Harper, Rosenior, Bruce (Aluko, 70), Chester, Davies, Meyler, Huddlestone (Quinn, 81′), Livermore, Jelavic (Sagbo, 79′) Long, Elmohamady
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7