Mar 29, 2014, 10:28 AM EDT
The battle table supremacy, presumably eighth place, may very well be decided by today’s fixture at St. Mary’s, as in walks Newcastle United to face No. 9 Southampton (Watch live online at 11am ET via NBC Sports Live Extra).
The Magpies have a one-point lead in the table and both teams have played 31 matches, and both clubs have taken nine points from their last six matches.
Newcastle is coming off a 3-0 home loss to Everton in which they controlled shots but were destroyed via counter attack. Losers of two of three, the Magpies have struggled overall after a hot start to the season and are now missing star goalkeeper Tim Krul in addition to Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy, arguably their three best players outside of Fabricio Coloccini.
The Saints will look to rebound from a 3-2 loss to Spurs that snapped a two-game winning combination. Southampton has lost two of three at St. Mary’s.
The clubs drew 1-1 at St. James Park in a wild game that featured a bloodied ref and plenty of touchline drama.
Southampton: Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Lovren, Shaw, Cork, S. Davis, Ward-Prowse, Lallana, Rodriguez, Lambert.
Subs: Gazzaniga, Schneiderlin, Ramírez, Guly, Hooiveld, Reed, Gallagher.
Newcastle United: Elliot; Yanga-Mbiwa, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Haïdara; Anita, Tioté; Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gouffran; Cissé.
Subs: Alnwick, Santon, Dummett, S.Taylor, Gosling, Shola Ameobi, de Jong
- FIFA ethics committee bans 11 current, former officials from all football-related activities 1
- UEFA calls for postponement of FIFA presidential election, threatens to boycott congress 4
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter releases first statement since overnight arrests 10
- Three things we learned from the US Department of Justice news conference on the FIFA investigation 6
- FIFA presidential elections will go on Friday despite arrests 5
- FBI, US Department of Justice issues damning statement on FIFA, details corruption investigation 8