Mar 30, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Would you know it, with Anfield buzzing, the Reds lead under three minutes into the match.
The goal extend’s Liverpool’s Premier League record 52 first-half goals this season, and this game now marks the 22nd straight match where they have scored in the first half.
Since the goal Spurs have done all they can to slow the game down, with Liverpool blistering into the box on a number of occasions with just 10 minutes gone by. Liverpool is using a high line to steal possession, and it’s causing Spurs all kinds of problems.
A streaking Sturridge nearly had a second for Liverpool as well, with a cross from Luis Suarez just inches too high for a leaping header.
Liverpool would go top of the league with a win over Tottenham, and with Chelsea and Manchester City both dropping points on Saturday the Reds control their own title destiny.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2