Mar 30, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
Would you know it, with Anfield buzzing, the Reds lead under three minutes into the match.
The goal extend’s Liverpool’s Premier League record 52 first-half goals this season, and this game now marks the 22nd straight match where they have scored in the first half.
Since the goal Spurs have done all they can to slow the game down, with Liverpool blistering into the box on a number of occasions with just 10 minutes gone by. Liverpool is using a high line to steal possession, and it’s causing Spurs all kinds of problems.
A streaking Sturridge nearly had a second for Liverpool as well, with a cross from Luis Suarez just inches too high for a leaping header.
Liverpool would go top of the league with a win over Tottenham, and with Chelsea and Manchester City both dropping points on Saturday the Reds control their own title destiny.
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1