Mar 30, 2014, 11:16 PM EDT
In a sign quite telling of the stature of this season’s Manchester United, a UEFA Champions League rival is not only preaching his club’s dominance ahead of a tie with the Red Devils, but their complete lack of United fear.
Arjen Robben says Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola has “turned us into the most dominant team in Europe.”
And the slick attacker isn’t stopping with his club, turning his sights toward United as the two clubs’ date in the quarterfinals of the UEFA Champions League looms early this week.
“Bayern have no fear of United at all,” Robben told the Sunday Mirror.
“No team can have stroll to the final. We are facing Manchester United, a big name in world football. But we are razor sharp.
“Our football is phenomenal and we want to show that more than anywhere in the Champions League.”
The Bavarians put a bow on their Bundesliga title by clinching it in March, and have shifted their views directly to becoming the first club to successfully defend a UCL title. In showing just how dominant Bayern has been, its 3-3 draw against Hoffenheim on the weekend drew plaudits for the opposition ending their 19-match Bundesliga winning streak.
Robben called the way his club is playing “total clockwork” and lavished praise on Guardiola and his teammates.
“Take our game against Schalke the other week. We played in such a high tempo, that we were 4-0 up within 30 minutes. We don’t let our opponents come up for air. That is the Bayern of Guardiola.”
United hosts the first leg of the quarterfinal tie at Old Trafford on Tuesday, with the return date on Wednesday, April 9.
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 0
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 2
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 2
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 5
- Manchester City 2-0 Watford: Sterling scores, hosts make history in comfortable win 0