Mar 30, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Our friends at Soccerly have the story out of Roma, as i Lupi president James Pallotta has revealed the club will retire the No. 10 whenever Francesco Totti decides to hang up his boots.
Apparently all you need to do to have a major number retired in your honor is score 288 goals and appear in more than 700 matches for your club while winning a Scudetto and two Coppa Italia tournaments.
”It would be great to be able to replicate players like him, De Rossi and Florenzi. In Boston we had Larry Bird, we had Paul Pierce, and it was very difficult to decide to sell him, but it was good for the team,” Pallotta told Sky Sport 24.
Pallota says that he would like to have players that would stay at Roma for many years and that the number 10 will be retired.
”I’d like to have players who spend 10-15 years in the squad. When Francesco stops we will retire the number 10 jersey, there is no doubt – his farewell won’t last just an hour either, it will be at least a month.”
I have no qualms with the move, but comparing Totti to Larry Bird is interesting, that’s for sure. Pallotta’s only delving into personal experience, and their importance to their club is relatively even (though Larry Legend brought home a few more titles). In any event, it’s a great honor for the 37-year-old, who has just six goals this season.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 0
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3