Apr 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
It’s a different time at Old Trafford, that’s for sure, as players and staff haven’t exactly been oozing confidence during a relatively difficult year (by Manchester United’s absurdly-high standards).
So we’ll let you judge whether Phil Jones‘ comments on the Red Devils hopes to trip up powerful Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champions League quarterfinals fit the bill of a club ready to pounce on the chance to dethrone a juggernaut.
Speaking to the Manchester United web site, the defender was asked about the club’s chances:
“Listen, we are realistic and know how difficult the game is going to be. We know how well they are playing, they are in form and have won the league with seven games to go. But who knows? It is the Champions League, it is a home tie at Old Trafford and if we get the crowd behind us then you just never know.
“I think if we were top of the league, Bayern would still have been favourites because they have got a superb team full of individual class. We have got to work on how to beat them.”
Something tells me when the team blogger posed the question he was expecting more of a “We’re United and we’re going to get ’em!” response rather than “Who knows? Nuttier things have happened! Did you know they sent people to the moon? The moon! It almost sounds like Munich! Moonich!”
It’s a bit different than Ryan Giggs‘ “We don’t see ourselves as underdogs,” isn’t it? Anyway, get ready for Tuesday’s tilt between United and Bayern with Richard Farley’s thorough Champions League preview.
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0
- Blatter’s “Wolf of Wall Street” moment could play out the exact same way 4
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 35
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 1
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Player of the Season 5
- Al-Hussein, Blatter address voters ahead of presidential election; First vote coming 6