Apr 1, 2014, 7:38 AM EDT
There’s little doubt Edinson Cavani would elicit suitors if he were to hit the transfer market just one summer after costing Paris Saint-Germain $100 million to extract from Napoli.
And if PSG doesn’t make a move to play him in his more proper striking position, we may see him in a new kit next season.
Cavani, 27, has struck 21 times in 33 matches for his new club this season, and says he’s focusing on winning as much silverware as possible with PSG. But he’s also openly admitting his dissatisfaction in Laurent Blanc’s 4-3-3 system, saying he came to PSG to play out-and-out striker.
And the defensive responsibilities are not his thing. From SkySports:
“But for a forward used to scoring and which has to do defensive tasks now, it is not easy.
“Playing in 4-4-2 was my vision of the team when I joined Paris. It is one of the arguments that motivated me to sign in that club. Let’s terminate Le Championnat and we will see what will happen.”
Cavani said he enjoys Paris but said he needs things to change this summer if he’s to stick around his current club. He claimed no knowledge of whether his representatives have talked shop with Manchester United, Chelsea or any other club, as rumored earlier this year.
For now, he’s looking toward winning trophies in France and in the UEFA Champions League, with a Wednesday date looming with Chelsea. But if he hits the market, look out. After scoring 33-plus goals in each of three seasons in Naples and now showing he works well-enough alongside a team of superstars, surely big dollars would come calling for a No. 1 striker.
- WATCH: Every Premier League game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 4 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 6
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0