US away World Cup kit released, looks like Russian hockey strip

Apr 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

The away shirts we showed you last week are the real deal, which is no surprise. What may be a bit disconcerting about the United States road shirts, which have been compared to bomb pops and pizza delivery guys, is the image of Clint Dempsey wearing the full strip makes him look, well…

source:

…like he’s wearing a Russia kit.

Yes, the striping is out of order from the Russian flag, and for that matter it could also be compared to France, Chile and Slovenia. By all means, tell me I’m wrong, but the distinct impression I get is that it’d look more appropriate on Yuri Zhirkov than the unshaven Texan.

Maybe it’s, I don’t know, that we’re a month removed from watching Alexander Ovechkin and the Russian hockey team struggle through their home Olympics in these kits:

source: Getty Images

Different sports. I’m aware.

And while I’m good with the home kit — though I’m hoping we just get consistent with a look one of these years — this one’s tough for me to take. Maybe you’re on board with the look overall, but the back of the kit may be the toughest part. It’s messing with my eyes, guys.

source:

1. konmtu - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM

What was so wrong with the red and white hoops? That kit looks ridiculous! You’re right, they look enough like the Russian hockey uniforms that Putin may accidentally find himself rooting for the US at the World Cup.

• Nicholas Mendola - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Maybe that was the plan? Peace between the nations…

• mlsconvert88888 - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM

“Sport has the power to change the world…it has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does.”

-Nelson Mandela

• jskinner23 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I love the red and white hoops but someone reported that FIFA rules state that World Cup kits must either be predominantly light or predominantly dark colors making the ‘Waldo’ jerseys ineligible for the World Cup

• nappy25 - Apr 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM

@jskinner23
        Obviously, you’ve never seen the Croatia Kit.

• akcita - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM

…But get the color blue right for pity’s sake, and how about some stars…?

I won’t miss the hoops though….

2. ravenseers - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Nike has done a horrible job in designing the jerseys for the WC14 ! With the home jerseys, every team looks the same. No wonder Adidas still rules the world of soccer, watch your back Nike, UA wants a piece of that cake too.

3. jskinner23 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM

My biggest complaint is that Nike didn’t stick with the blue the #USMNT has been using for years now. I like the darker blue.

4. boscoesworld - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Does anyone know how to get barf out of a keyboard?

5. bradybbgoat - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM

An April Fool’s joke, no doubt…. right?

• midtec2005 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Unfortunately I don’t think it is.

I was on board with it until I realized it looks exactly like a Russian kit. We shouldn’t be mistaking our national teams kit with another nation… regardless of which one it is.

6. geejon - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Can you believe that a highly paid group of people whose “expertise” is in designing all agreed that this was the one to go with? And they showed this to a test group and got a thumbs up? I seriously doubt that. Yechhhhh.

7. atxnole - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I like it personally but it looks more like a training top than an actual in-game kit. Incredibly, I don’t even mind the terrible crest when it’s presented in this manner. The red shorts and socks are also pretty slick.

8. lunasceiling - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I don’t mind these at all, actually. I do agree that using the already-established blue would have been better…with a matching red. These are a bit to “primary” for my tastes. But overall, I like the simple look.

Of course, I also really like Bomb Pops, so that may be influencing me.

9. seanb20124 - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Surprised Dempsey is not wearing the new Nike boots

10. creek0512 - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Atrocious.

11. dfstell - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Everyone hated the hoops too. It grew on us. This shirt looks absurd if you’re walking around town in it. Looks a little silly on the field (maybe). Will look great in the crowd for games.

• akcita - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM

IT’S THE WRONG COLOR BLUE!!! IS NIKE COLOR BLIND…?

12. thedeadlockvictim - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM

If any MLS or foreign club played here wearing that, they’d get endless “Where’s My Pizza?” chants.

13. zoccer8 - Apr 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM

The problem with the dark blue is how hot they are in the sun and it is not that easy to spot your teammates when they’re wearing dark blue particularly at night…..they should have stuck with red/white stripes or all red for the second jersey.

• skjln - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I heard that this years WC was going to utilize lights…seeing your teammates shouldn’t be a problem, regardless of the color of their uni.

14. wwsiralexd - Apr 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I’d prefer the red and blue switched.

15. skjln - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:35 PM

This kit is an improvement…over the crap all white kit previously released. Is it good? No. Does the crest still suck? Yes. Are these our colors? Not really. I know that 2 blues, reds and whites are authorized for the flag, but I don’t think that this blue is reflective of either of the authorized flag blue tones. Thankfully, the top doesn’t have buttons.

16. booger1234 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Is anyone else wishing the ice cream truck was coming around so you could get a popsicle?

• skjln - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM

creamsicle

• skjln - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Or to stay in theme…bomb pop

17. creek0512 - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM

The worst part is that those aren’t even the right colors. Does Nike not have access to an American flag?

18. jdfsquared - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Hate it. However, I Honestly think I would dig it if it had the correct blue.

19. chewy59 - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Wait your good with the Home kit? You seriously think Nike should send the USMNT out there in white Golf shirts? They literally are selling the same design in navy on the USMNT website as a coach’s polo shirt. Just an all around poor job by Nike

Week 6: Premier League recap